Join the eviction defense team at Legal Assistance the Elderly! We provide a vital service, aggressively representing elderly tenants and tenants with disabilities who are threatened with losing their homes. The work is intense, fast-paced and demanding, but very rewarding. You will work with a very experienced team representing clients throughout their case, beginning with pre-trial motions, through discovery and at trial.
For almost 40 years, LAE has provided free legal advice and representation to San Francisco’s seniors and adults living with disabilities. Our mission is to keep this vulnerable community safe, housed and financially secure. Our primary practice areas are Eviction Defense/Housing (tenants only), Income Support, Elder Abuse Prevention, Health Law and Debt Collection Defense. Additional areas of practice include Wills, Powers of Attorney and Conservatorship Defense. LAE is a friendly and collaborative work environment.
- Member State Bar of California
- Strong written, verbal and interviewing skills
- Patient, flexible and kind
- Works well in a team
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, Cantonese and/or Mandarin
- Knowledge of landlord-tenant law
- Knowledge of legal issues related to poverty and/or aging
- Trial experience
- Experience working with elderly, disabled or homeless individuals or those experiencing a crisis
- Experience working in a non-profit legal service organization, or other non-profit
- Provide legal advice and full scope representation in court to tenants facing eviction
- Conduct intake interviews with new clients, including home and hospital visits, when necessary
- Provide in-office “backup” on a rotating basis, responding to client emergencies and agency inquiries
This position is supervised by the Senior Supervising Housing Attorney
- Salary based on experience according to our union scale
- Health, vision and dental coverage
- Union Membership: After successful completion of a probationary period (90 days), membership in the National Organization of Legal Services Workers becomes a condition of employment.
The position requires working with individuals during moments of extreme stress and instability. The position also requires the provision of culturally-sensitive and empathetic services. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Due to the COVID pandemic, our office is largely working remotely. Exceptions include mandatory court appearances, required client meetings and hearings and some administrative staff. This position is temporarily remote.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged sitting/standing
- Extensive typing/data entry
- Close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data, text, and figures
- Prolonged computer use
If you find that you meet many of the qualifications in the job description, we encourage you to apply and explain in your cover letter why your experience would make you a good fit for the position. We recognize that organizations may miss out on strong applicants who screen themselves out of the process because they do not meet every qualification and that disproportionately impacts people from historically marginalized backgrounds. We know that our greatest strengths come from the people who make up our team and a welcoming, inclusive and culturally diverse staff allows us to best serve our community. We look forward to your application.
LAE seeks to fill all positions with people who share our values, including our organizational commitment to diversity. We encourage all interested individuals to apply—especially people of color; women; people from low-income backgrounds; people with disabilities; people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender non-conforming, non-binary; or anyone belonging to any other federal or state protected category. We believe that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity, and do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention Hiring Committee
Subject line: STAFF ATTORNEY EVICTION DEFENSE
Or click the Apply Now button on this page to submit your resume and cover letter through our website.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. Those selected for an interview will be notified by phone.