Legal Assistance to the Elderly (LAE) is seeking an enthusiastic, friendly self-starter to join our team as the HR and Operations Coordinator. We are a small administrative team and the person in this position is expected to be flexible, take initiative and be willing to pitch-in as needed. The primary responsibilities of this position are to develop and maintain office policies and procedures, coordinate LAE supplies and equipment (home and in office), work with our IT partners to evaluate our processes and systems and identify areas of improvement, manage the hiring and onboarding process, and assist in other administrative tasks as needed.
For over 40 years, LAE has provided free legal advice and representation to San Francisco’s seniors and adults with disabilities. Our mission is to protect and advance the right of San Francisco’s seniors and adults with disabilities to be housed, healthy, financially stable, and safe. Our primary practice areas are Eviction Defense/Housing Preservation (tenants only), Income Support, Health Law, Financial and Physical Elder Abuse Prevention, Debt Collection Defense, Foreclosure Prevention, End of Life Planning and Conservatorship Defense. LAE is a friendly and collaborative work environment.
- Passion for LAE’s mission and goals and a demonstrated commitment to social justice
- At least 3 years administrative work experience – you’ll be the “owner” of several key responsibilities, and we need someone with the confidence and experience to take them on.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a human resources administrative role
- Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision
- Able to be patient, flexible and kind
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to handle a high volume of activity, multitask and prioritize
- Able to work independently and in a team-oriented environment
- Outstanding skills developing relationships with colleagues, clients, and vendors.
- An ability to understand and navigate cloud-based technology, including being comfortable using various technological systems and the ability to use multiple computer programs simultaneously in a Windows operating system. The ideal candidate will have top notch skills in Microsoft Office, Box (or something similar) and Salesforce.
- Must have received or be willing to receive and maintain up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination (including boosters) by date of hire to be considered.
- Experience with Salesforce or similar system
- Experience in an operations or office management role
- Experience working at a nonprofit.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, Cantonese and/or Mandarin
- Taking the lead in developing and maintaining organizational policies. This includes being the point person for questions regarding HR policies and office technology and equipment
- Identifying the need for new processes and systems. Assisting in researching, implementing, and training staff on processes and systems as appropriate.
- Resolving facility, technology, and equipment (e.g., copier, phone, fax, printers, etc.) issues when possible. Coordinating with building and outside vendors as necessary.
- Maintaining office and departmental calendars and organizing and communicating details of staff meetings, staff development days, and office celebrations.
- Catalogue and track office equipment, both in the office and in employee’s homes.
- Planning and managing staff-wide celebrations, including managing online cards for birthdays, retirements, goodbyes, etc.
- Working with the finance department to approve equipment and supply purchases, and maintain related budgets.
- Managing the LAE’s offsite storage facility and file request process.
- Working with our HR Consultant to support office’s HR systems, including personnel file management, benefits administration support, drafting hire, promotion, and other personnel-related letters, etc.
- Managing onboarding including ordering business cards and creating accounts (Microsoft Suite, Box, ClickTime, etc.) and giving a rundown of the accounts and acting as a point person for any questions.
- Managing and maintaining the staff section of the LAE website, including adding new staff information, removing former staff information.
- Drafting and posting job openings in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Providing general office support. Perform additional administrative tasks, general office duties and special projects as assigned.
The position requires working with individuals during moments of extreme stress and instability. The position also requires the provision of culturally-sensitive and empathetic services. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
This is an onsite position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged sitting/standing.
- Extensive typing/data entry.
- Close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data, text, and figures.
- Occasionally lifting objects weighing 40lbs or more.
We offer a family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. The estimated annual salary range is $58,000 - $66,000 (primarily based on experience).
LAE’s benefits package includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and dependent children and up 75% for spouses; LAE student debt reimbursement program; employer paid CA Bar license and/or social work license fees; and 401k retirement plan with annual LAE contribution. LAE has a generous paid leave policy which includes: sick leave; parental leave; compensation time, 19 holidays each year; and vacation (starting at 15 days and increasing with additional years of employment). Relocation benefits if moving from out of San Francisco Bay Area.
E-MAIL RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: email@example.com
Subject line: HR and Operations Coordinator
If you find that you meet many of the qualifications in the job description, we encourage you to apply and explain in your cover letter why your experience would make you a good fit for the position. We recognize that organizations may miss out on strong applicants who screen themselves out of the process because they do not meet every qualification and that disproportionately impacts people from historically marginalized backgrounds. We know that our greatest strengths come from the people who make up our team and a welcoming, inclusive and culturally diverse staff allows us to best serve our community. We look forward to your application.
LAE seeks to fill all positions with people who share our values, including our organizational commitment to diversity. We encourage all interested individuals to apply—especially people of color; women; people from low-income backgrounds; people with disabilities; people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender non-conforming, non-binary; or anyone belonging to any other federal or state protected category. We believe that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity, and are committed to not discriminating on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED. THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE NOTIFIED.