Legal Assistance to the Elderly (LAE) seeks an enthusiastic, creative, and dedicated advocate to join our team as Community Outreach Lead on our Black Senior Legal Services Initiative. The goal of this project is to identify the legal service needs of San Francisco’s Black seniors and develop programs and outreach to connect these communities with needed services.
For almost 40 years, LAE has provided free legal advice and representation to San Francisco’s seniors and people living with disabilities. Our mission is to keep this vulnerable community safe, financially secure, and housed. Our primary practice areas are Eviction Defense/Housing Preservation, Income Support, Health Law, Elder Abuse Prevention, Debt Collection Defense and End of Life planning. LAE is a friendly and collaborative work environment.
LAE is also the lead organization for the Excelsior Legal Collaborative (ELC) which provides legal services to residents of SF Supervisorial District 11 (regardless of age or disability status) primarily in the areas of Housing, Workers’ Rights, and Immigration. The project is a collaboration between LAE, Jubilee Immigration Advocates, and Asian Law Caucus. ELC provides legal representation, offers drop-in clinics and works directly with community based organizations to conduct community outreach and provide services to our most isolated community members. Our shared office is located at Excelsior Works!
- Excellent people, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong written skills
- Organized and able to manage an independent project
- Patient, flexible and kind
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice
- A connection to San Francisco’s Black senior community
- Experience or an interest in legal issues related to race, poverty and/or aging
- Experience working with seniors, communities of color, people with disabilities and/or homeless individuals or those experiencing a crisis
- Experience working with/in a non-profit legal service organization, or other non-profit organization
General Purpose: The Community Outreach Lead will assist the Executive Director, the Project Advisory Panel, and Supervising Attorney in developing and implementing an outreach plan targeting Black seniors in San Francisco. This is a part-time position 20 hours/week.
- Develop relationships with community leaders and community based organizations that work closely with and serve Black seniors
- Network, initiate, and manage communications with community leaders and community organizations
- Coordinate the Project Advisory Panel
- Outreach and arrange community meetings and events with local community organizations (e.g. churches, community centers, resource centers)
- Make presentations about LAE and our services to community groups
- Work with Executive Director and Communications Coordinator to develop a survey to identify community’s legal needs
- Coordinate a survey of organizations that serve Black seniors, as well as individual seniors and community based organizations (i.e. churches, community centers, resource centers)
- Compile results
- Work with Executive Director and Communications Coordinator to prepare results summary
- Work with Executive Director and LAE’s leadership to use results to identify legal needs and develop programs to respond to these needs
We are a small organization and at times we all pitch-in. You may be asked to do some direct client work as needed, including:
- Conduct client intake interviews by phone and in-person (Post-COVID SIP)
- (Post-COVID SIP) As needed, visit clients in their homes, in skilled nursing facilities and in hospitals to complete intake interviews and collect important documents
- Follow-up on intake interviews, collect needed documents and information
- Draft correspondence to clients
Salary based on experience (Union Scale)
Health, Dental, and Vision Benefits
The position requires working with individuals during moments of extreme stress and instability. The position also requires the provision of culturally-sensitive and empathetic services. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
Due to the COVID pandemic, our office is largely working remotely. Exceptions include mandatory court appearances, required client meetings and hearings and some administrative staff. This position is temporarily remote.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged sitting/standing
- An ability to navigate the City by public transportation
- Extensive typing/data entry
- Close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data, text, and figures
- Prolonged computer use
If you find that you meet many of the qualifications in the job description, we encourage you to apply and explain in your cover letter why your experience would make you a good fit for the position. We recognize that organizations may miss out on strong applicants who screen themselves out of the process because they do not meet every qualification and that disproportionately impacts people from historically marginalized backgrounds. We know that our greatest strengths come from the people who make up our team and a welcoming, inclusive and culturally diverse staff allows us to best serve our community. We look forward to your application.
LAE seeks to fill all positions with people who share our values, including our organizational commitment to diversity. We encourage all interested individuals to apply—especially people of color; women; people from low-income backgrounds; people with disabilities; people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender non-conforming, non-binary; or anyone belonging to any other federal or state protected category. We believe that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity, and do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Email resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Attention Hiring Committee
Subject line: COMMUNITY OUTREACH LEAD
Or click the Apply Now button on this page to submit your resume and cover letter through our website.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. Those selected for an interview will be notified by phone.