Join the eviction defense team at Legal Assistance the Elderly! We provide a vital service, aggressively representing senior and disabled tenants in court who are threatened with losing their homes. The work is intense, fast-paced and demanding, but very rewarding. You will work with a very experienced team representing clients throughout their case, beginning with pre-trial motions, through discovery and at trial. This position will also support a community based legal clinic in the Excelsior District of San Francisco. It is a unique position because it works closely with community based organizations that help tenants as well as individual clients.
For almost 40 years, LAE has provided free legal advice and representation to seniors and disabled San Franciscans. Our mission is to keep this vulnerable community safe, financial secure and housed. Our primary practice areas are Eviction Defense/Housing (tenants only), Reasonable Accommodation Requests, Income Support, Health Law, Elder Abuse Prevention and Debt Collection Defense. Additional areas of practice include end of life planning and Conservatorship Defense. LAE is a friendly and collaborative work environment.
- Provide legal advice and full scope representation in court to tenants facing eviction
- Conduct intake interviews with new clients, including home and hospital visits, when necessary
- Support off-site Housing Intake Clinic (in the evening monthly)
- Work closely with Community Based Organizations that work with tenants in Supervisorial District 11 (Excelsior)
- Collaborate with other legal service providers also working out of Excelsior Clinic
- Provide in-office “backup” on a rotating basis, responding to client emergencies and agency inquiries
- Member State Bar of California
- Strong written, verbal and interviewing skills
- Patient & flexible
- Bilingual Cantonese, Mandarin, or Tagalog
- Knowledge of landlord-tenant law
- Knowledge of legal issues related to poverty and/or aging
- Trial experience
- Experience working with elderly, disabled or individuals experiencing a crisis
- Experience working in a non-profit legal service, or other non-profit
Salary based on experience according to our union scale.
After successful completion of a probationary period (90 days), membership in the National Organization of Legal Services Workers becomes a condition of employment.
Health, vision and dental benefits.
15 days paid vacation in first year.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Attention Hiring Committee
Subject line: Social Worker Application
APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED. THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE NOTIFIED BY PHONE.
We are strongly committed to diversity and encourage applications from anyone who can contribute to making Legal Assistance to the Elderly a more diverse community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. Legal Assistance to the Elderly believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity, and the agency is committed to not discriminating on any basis prohibited by applicable law.