Legal Assistance to the Elderly (LAE) seeks an enthusiastic and compassionate advocate to join our team. For almost 40 years, LAE has provided free legal advice and representation to seniors and disabled San Franciscans. Our mission is to keep this vulnerable community safe, financial secure and housed. Our primary practice areas are Eviction Defense/Housing (tenants only), Reasonable Accommodation Requests, Income Support, Health Law, Elder Abuse Prevention, Health Law and Debt Collection Defense. Additional areas of practice include Wills, Powers of Attorney and Conservatorship Defense. LAE is a friendly and collaborative work environment.
- To provide litigation and programmatic support to Staff Attorneys and to provide clients with limited legal services under the supervision of an attorney.
- Conduct intake interviews with Cantonese and English speaking clients in-person and by phone
- Report new cases at weekly Case Review meeting
- Maintain accurate computerized client files and other documentation
- Provide translation for Cantonese speaking clients on a variety of legal matters
- Work with San Francisco Adult Protective Services and community-based social workers to address clients’ needs
- Conduct outreach at senior centers and other community organizations
- As needed, visit clients in their homes, in skilled nursing facilities and in hospitals
- Follow-up on intake interviews, collect needed documents and information
- Draft correspondence and other documents
- Conduct factual investigations
- Provide litigation support, including with discovery, trial preparation and court pleadings
- Bilingual Cantonese and English
- Strong, written, verbal and interviewing skills
- Organized and able to manage projects independently
- Patient and flexible
- Comfortable with case management systems and other office technology
- Knowledge of Russian, Mandarin, Tagalog or Spanish
- Knowledge of legal issues related to poverty and/or aging
- Experience working with elderly, disabled or homeless individuals or those experiencing a crisis
- Experience working in a non-profit legal service, or other non-profit
- Salary based on experience according to our union scale
- Union Membership: After successful completion of a probationary period (90 days), membership in the National Organization of Legal Services Workers becomes a condition of employment.
- Health, vision and dental coverage
- Paid time off
During the COVID-19 pandemic, this position can be partially remote. However, once Shelter-In-Place precautions are lifted it is expected that this position will be in the office.
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Attention Hiring Committee
Subject line: Legal Advocate - Cantonese
OR click the Apply Now button on this page to submit your resume and cover letter through our website.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. Those selected for an interview will be notified by phone.
We are strongly committed to diversity and encourage applications from anyone who can contribute to making Legal Assistance the Elderly a more diverse community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. Legal Assistance to the Elderly believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity, and the agency is committed to not discriminating on any basis prohibited by applicable law.