Legal Assistance to the Elderly (LAE) seeks an enthusiastic, creative, and dedicated advocate to join our team as Community Outreach Lead & Advocate. This position will conduct outreach to help the community better know about LAE’s services and how to access them. This position will focus their outreach on two initiatives: the Financial Security Team and the Black Senior Legal Services Initiative.
LAE's Financial Security Team helps ensure our seniors can age in place, with dignity and financial security. We provide a vital service, aggressively advocating for and representing seniors or adults with disabilities who are facing consumer debt actions, have been financially exploited, or are facing other threats to their financial security. Our lawyers represent clients from the initial pleading all the way through trial. We also work to preserve generational wealth and prevent financial elder abuse through end-of-life planning and advocacy. The work is critical to preserving and protecting some of the most vulnerable communities of San Francisco.
The goal of LAE's Black Senior Legal Services Initiative is to identify the legal service needs of San Francisco’s Black seniors and develop programs and outreach to connect these communities with needed services.
For over 40 years, LAE has provided free legal advice and representation to San Francisco’s seniors and adults with disabilities. Our mission is to protect and advance the right of San Francisco’s seniors and adults with disabilities to be housed, healthy, financially stable, and safe. Our primary practice areas are Eviction Defense/Housing Preservation, Income Support, Health Law, Financial and Physical Elder Abuse Prevention, Debt Collection Defense, Foreclosure Prevention, End of Life Planning and Conservatorship Defense. LAE is a friendly and collaborative work environment.
- Excellent people, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong written skills
- Organized and able to multitask and manage an independent project
- Patient, flexible and kind
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including all recommended boosters) unless the applicant has a valid medical reason for not being fully vaccinated or a sincerely held religious belief preventing vaccination
- Experience developing and giving presentations to community groups
- A connection to San Francisco’s Black senior community
- Experience and/or an interest in legal issues related to race, poverty and/or aging
- Experience working with seniors, communities of color, people with disabilities and/or homeless individuals or those experiencing a crisis
- Experience working with/in a non-profit legal service organization, or other non-profit organization
- Develop outreach materials and presentations
- Make presentations about LAE and our services to community groups
- Arrange community meetings and events with local community organizations (e.g. churches, community centers, resource centers)
- Implement our Financial Security Team Outreach Plan
- Develop relationships with community leaders and community-based organizations that work closely with and serve Black seniors
- Network, initiate, and manage communications with community leaders and community organizations
- Work with Executive Director and Communications Coordinator to develop a survey to identify community’s legal needs
- Design, implement, and analyze a survey of organizations that serve Black seniors, as well as individual seniors and community-based organizations (i.e. churches, community centers, resource centers)
- Work with Executive Director and Communications Coordinator to prepare results summary
- Work with Executive Director and LAE’s leadership to use results to identify legal needs and develop programs to respond to these needs
- Conduct client intake interviews by phone and in-person
- As needed, visit clients in their homes, in skilled nursing facilities and in hospitals to complete intake interviews and collect relevant documents and information
- Assist clients in collecting and reviewing necessary documents
- Maintain communication with clients
We offer a family friendly environment, and compensation based on competitive public interest salaries along with a generous benefits package. The salary based on Union Scale starting at $61,000 to $71,000 (placement on scale is primarily determined by years of related experience). There is a salary stipend for fluency in a second language that is regularly used in LAE’s legal practice and an additional stipend after two years working at LAE. LAE’s benefits package includes 100% employer covered medical, dental, and life insurance for employees and dependent children and up 75% for spouses; LAE student debt reimbursement program; employer paid CA Bar license and/or social work license fees; 401k retirement plan with annual LAE contribution; and a Staff Wellness Fund. LAE has a generous paid leave policy which includes: sick leave; parental leave; compensation time, 19 holidays each year; and vacation (starting at 15 days and increasing with additional years of employment).
The position requires working with individuals during moments of extreme stress and instability. The position also requires the provision of culturally-sensitive and empathetic services. Some evening and weekend work is required. Furthermore, because of the nature of the work, the employee is expected to be in the office during normal business hours and to communicate with staff regarding whereabouts when out of the office during work hours. After a probationary period, some work from home is permitted depending on client and team needs.
After successful completion of a probationary period (90 days), membership in the National Organization of Legal Services Workers becomes a condition of employment.
E-MAIL RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: [email protected]
SUBJECT: Outreach Lead
If you find that you meet many of the qualifications in the job description, we encourage you to apply and explain in your cover letter why your experience would make you a good fit for the position. We recognize that organizations may miss out on strong applicants who screen themselves out of the process because they do not meet every qualification and that disproportionately impacts people from historically marginalized backgrounds. We know that our greatest strengths come from the people who make up our team and a welcoming, inclusive and culturally diverse staff allows us to best serve our community. We look forward to your application.
LAE seeks to fill all positions with people who share our values, including our organizational commitment to diversity. We encourage all interested individuals to apply—especially people of color; women; people from low-income backgrounds; people with disabilities; people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender non-conforming, non-binary; or anyone belonging to any other federal or state protected category. We believe that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity, and are committed to not discriminating on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED. THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE NOTIFIED.